I'll try to keep this entry short, but we have like four days of catching up to do, so bear with me...maybe grab yourself a little snack before you start reading or something...
Last Day in
When I went to make myself lunch I discovered that the groceries that I had bought myself had been taken from the hostel guest food storage area and I was very very sad.
I attended a big ceili dance that night and an American couple got up and started mock Irish dancing. I wanted to get up and shout "NO! You're being offensive!" but instead I hung my head in shame.
At dinner I felt like being a local so I conducted all of my interactions with an Irish accent. No one seemed to notice.
The Journey to the Aran Islands:
The Aran islands are three tiny islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) off the West coast of
The hostel was pretty nice and one of the other girls staying my room was a nice British girl who was actually also traveling doing research as well—she’s getting her masters in anthropology and was doing her dissertation on Aran knitting traditions.
Anyways. About the only thing I did on that first day was go out for dinner. There are only two dinner options in the town of Day Two on Inishmore:
On the second day the weather wasn't quite as deadly as it was on the first day, but there was no electricity on the whole island. The only place that had power, and thus the only business that was open, was the tiny grocery store that had a big noisy generator. I didn’t do much all day… Finally around 6pm the electricity came back and the weather cleared up a little bit. Since I hadn’t done anything all day I decided to go seek out some traditional music that night for research purposes. I went to one of the area’s three pubs (when there are only 3 pubs you know you’re in a really remote place) which said they would have music at 10pm. I arrived at 10 but there was no music happening, then I realized that it was because the all-important soccer game had not ended yet. When it was over (
Day Three on Inishmore:
On the third day I used my mind powers to summon the sun out from behind the clouds. I ended up creating a perfect day! No wind, no rain, just beautiful sunny 75 degree conditions. I rented a bicycle and biked all over island. First I stopped by the island’s seal colony…SEALS!! (photo to the left) Seals make noises like Chewbacca. I continued biking up through the lovely countryside past lots of thatched cottages and farm animals and stone walls and such and maybe an hour or two later I arrived at Dun Aonghasa (no idea how that is pronounced), an early Celtic fort from about 1100 BC. When you get there after
the long bike ride you then have to hike up a big hill for about 20 minutes but when you make it to the top it is spectacular, amazing, breath-taking, and more. It’s a good place for a fort because, in addition to the remote location, in one direction you can see out over the whole island (beautiful on a clear day), and in the other direction there are huge cliffs that drop straight into the ocean. Very much like the Cliffs of Insanity from The Princess Bride. You can walk right up to the edge of the cliff so it’s a little frightening since all that separates you from the ocean is several hundred feet of jagged rocks. It’s all very mind-blowing and I can hardly describe it. A nice couple from California took my picture (I look a little disheveled from the bike ride and hike).
After the fort, I cycled on around the rest of the island past more farms, 9th century church ruins, beaches, and lots more indescribable scenery. In total I was on the bike for about five hours, so by the end I was a little tired and very sunburned. (Sunburned in
Leaving the
The ferry ride away from the island was not nearly as treacherous as the one that took me there, and I spotted another seal in the harbor as we were leaving. After that I rode three different buses to get to
Small anecdote: As I was standing waiting for one of the buses to come an old man was standing next to me and he pointed to a man with a big grizzly beard walking by and said (in a heavy Irish accent) “That man there has a fine whisker.” Best quote by an old Irish guy so far? I think so.
When I arrived in
Why did the Irish chickens cross the road?
5 comments:
I had to wait four long days for that blog to appear, but it didn't disappoint. Your humorous adventures and observations continue to amuse. I'm so glad you made it off the island. I was thinking maybe the Irish would cancel their ferry system after the deadly ferry disaster in the Philippines. I'm just glad you are back in civilization. Enjoy the comfy hotel. Are you going to extend your stay in Tralee?
Hey! Welcome back!
The risk of taking a flyer off the cliffs into oblivion (or worse) is probably reduced by the gale force winds blowing into your face. So even those who would choose self euthanasia via the Cliffs would be foiled yet again.
Re Irish quote: those Irish guys. Small wonder Oscar Wilde was Irish.
You didn't tell us about the knit sweater you got on the Aran islands. There must have been one.
I think I took pictures of those chickens when I was there too. I want to see pictures of the horses and sheep, though.
The clifthsfths... of inthanity! bwahahaha!
8 hours of constant travel? oh my. that must have been really difficult.
Post a Comment