Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Only ten more days??!

It's July already! I have to leave in ten days! I'm not yet ready!

Yesterday I spent like three euros on internet cafes then I returned to my room to discover I had free wifi. oops. Unfortunately, the wireless signal isn't really strong enough for me to upload any pictures otherwise I would be dazzling you all with my genius photography skills right now.

After some careful consideration and some phone calls and emails I concluded that I would skip ahead one day in my itinerary. That is, I will leave Limerick for Dublin one day earlier than scheduled. I figure I've already done all that I wanted to do in Limerick and there is a lot of unexplored territory in Dublin, so...onward! Or perhaps I was just getting tired of writing Limericks...

Whilst in the Aran Islands, I spoke to a local who expressed this opinion to me:
"I love America! I went to New York City once--everything is so convenient there!"
to which I responded..."yes...if you grow up on a tiny, remote island I would imagine New York would seem like a very convenient place..."
I do have to agree with him in a lot of respects though. I've kind of been keeping score on Ireland vs. USA as I've been going along this trip. It's a pretty close call in a lot of cases, but Ireland loses a lot of points in terms of convenience...especially in terms of laundry machines. I just paid a very unreasonable amount of money to use the laundry facilities here and the machines barely fit one pair of pants inside...that is to say, they are very small.

To be fair though, here are a few places where Ireland gains a lot of points:
-Most nice restaurants give you a piece of chocolate with your bill at the end of your meal. 10 points.
-You never have to tip anyone for services (taxi, restaurant, etc) and if you try to tip them they get really confused and give you your money back. 8 points.
-Limerick has both a Catherine Street (wrong spelling, right idea) and a Davis Street. 8 points.
-If you want to cross the street jay-walking is strongly encouraged on any street even if there are cars coming. If you step in front of oncoming traffic, the drivers politely stop and wave you across. 5 points.
-Regardless of where you are, you always have access to free tea. 5 points.
-Cute accents. 5 points.

It's my last day in Limerick today
Tomorrow I'll be on my way
I know you'll all miss
my little poems like this
But I'm sick of them, so I say "Hooray!!"

3 comments:

nicole davis said...

i think the irish deserve more points for serving tea.

Karstan said...

Your skills at the Limerick writing amazes me. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

There's no tipping in Japan either. After coming back here I realized what a barbaric custom it is.