Last night I dined at a fine restaurant called Couch Potatas. All they serve is baked potatoes with different toppings. Brilliant. Why don't we have this in America?
After consuming all that potato I was in need of a long walk so I walked all the way up the coast to the next town (it's actually less far than I'm making it sound) called Sandhill. Sandhill is a little farther out to sea and the tourist information board tauts its "breathtaking views of Galway Bay." It's a cute little beach town complete with a sketchy little boardwalk carnival. I also booked a ticket to see a show in Sandhill on Thursday night called "Trad on the Prom" which, I believe stands for Traditional music and dance on the Promenade. It looks, from the brochure like it will be delightfully cheesy.
On the Beach of Galway Bay. I couldn't tell if the auto timer was working which explains the quizzical look on my face.
Tonight I'm going to an event but I don't actually know what it is. In the program for the Galway Sessions Music festival it is listed as "Oiche Damsha Sean Nos." The only description I can find of the event is entirely in Gaelic. I think it is something I will want to go to though because I can recognize a few key words in the ads. I know "rince" and "damsha" both mean dance, and I know "damsha sean nos" is traditional "old style" dance, but I can't really gather any more information beyond that. I don't know if it is a performance or a class or if I'm allowed to go or if it will all be conducted entirely in Gaelic, but I guess I'll find out. I've already been in so many awkward and embarrassing situations on this journey, I guess I have nothing to lose.
Ireland just held their vote on the Lisbon Treaty and they voted no...I guess after hundreds of years of fighting for independence they were reluctant to give that up. Everywhere you turn there are campaign ads though, it was a pretty big deal.
2 comments:
The grains of sand there appear to be just a little bit larger than the grains of sand on our beaches. Probably less easy on the feet as well.
Ireland has probably been one of the greatest beneficiaries of EU membership. Great economic growth leading to overall general well being. So their No vote pretty much flummoxed the rest of the EU community as the proposal should have led to even more improvement. Guess you had to have been there to figure it all out.
you didn't acknowledge that I recommended the baked-potato restaurant.
Post a Comment