Tomorrow I am off to Tory Island, a three mile long little island north of county Donegal with a population of 172 where the preferred language is Ulster Gaelic (more obscure than regular Gaelic.) Hmm. Today My goals are to 1) figure out how one gets to Tory Island 2) Try to contact a place where I can stay if and when I arrive. These tasks are somewhat daunting. Maybe I should have started worrying about this sooner.
Oh my god.
If you don't hear from me for the next few days you can assume one of two things 1) that I reached the island but being in one of the more remote corners of the world has left me without the internet 2) that I did not reach the island and I am desperately stranded somewhere in county Donegal.
EDIT
Now it is the late afternoon and I've been searching all day for how to get to Tory Island and basically I've just come to the conclusion that it is not possible. The buses run once in a blue moon and the only other way I could have gotten out there would have been to rent a car...which I am not actually old enough to legally do...not to mention the whole driving a stick shift down the left side of an unmarked gravel road thing...
THUS
I shall move on to Belfast tomorrow! Instead of going to one of the country's most obscure places, I'll be going to one of it's largest cities! Since it was such short notice I could only get a hostel that gets pretty questionable reviews...but I'll deal with that part when the time comes. I'm totally bummed that I don't get to go to Tory Island, but I guess this will have to do. C'est la vie.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Given the options, I think you need a third. Dress warmly, carry something to eat, and pray your cell phone works in the middle of nowhere
Well, given the change in plans, "Have a good craic"
Well, you're still going to the Aran Islands, and those are pretty desolate too, so I think you'll get your fill of remote-Irish-islands. I'm sure you'll find music and dance in Belfast too.
I can't wait to read the blog tomorrow on the hostel! Be careful and keep your political views to yourself. As I recall the Northern Irish love Bill Clinton for his work in bringing peace.
ditto on religious views
Does this mean you won't get to meet the King of Tory Island and become his queen?
Post a Comment