After that I strolled around enjoying the relatively nice weather and I strolled past a place called the "Czech Inn," which is a funny joke that I didn't understand until I pronounced it out loud.
Today is my last day in Ireland. Can you believe it? I can't. I'm excited to be able to do laundry and take a shower with actual hot water and not to have to sleep in a room that smells like boy's feet, but other than that I'm very sad to leave.
If reading my travel chronicles for the past several weeks has inspired you to travel to Ireland for yourself I'd like to offer you a few tips for traveling here:
1) Get lazier
2) Memorize your life story in monologue form, you'll be reciting it often
3) When asked why you've come to Ireland don't mention anything about coming to the land of your ancestors. Irish people actually really like Americans, but they hate the Americans that come to Ireland "seeking their heritage" and claiming to be more Irish than the locals. You will, however, be asked what your ancestry is by everyone you meet...they just don't really want you to say you're Irish. It's a bit of a paradox, but then, so is everything here.
5) Bring an umbrella and sunglasses and expect to change between them multiple times a day
6) Don't stay in Paddy's Palace Hostel of Derry or Marlborough Hostel of Dublin
7) Do stay in B&B's. You'll meet some very eccentric people
8) Emotionally prepare yourself for being very near farm animals
9) Don't judge the country by Dublin--someone told me this at the very beginning of my trip and I didn't understand what they meant by it, but I figured it out now
I'm leaving Ireland with a lot of good stories, a lot less money, a little more understanding of the things I was researching, and healthy addictions to tea and alcohol. It's been a splendid trip though. Fabulous, in fact.
Thanks to everyone who has been reading and leaving comments! This will be my final blog entry, but stay tuned...in a few months I'll be reporting on my study abroad adventures--we'll see what India has in store for me!
Slainte! Go raibh ma agat!
5 comments:
What a sad day. The best Irish blog has come to an end :(
My morning latté is just not going to be the same w/o the morning blog! argh!
You're going to India?? I thought it was New Zealand.
You're a poop, and very much culturally deprived, for not going to the Chester Beatty.
Thanks for finally posting a picture of sheep. And, I don't know why you need to emotionally prepare yourself to be around farm animals. They're so cool!!
"Especially considering that when I get home I'm going to have to like...get a job...and somehow make two months of playing around having fun into ten pages of scholarly sounding "research.""
you'd better hope the grant committee isn't reading this blog ;-)
wait... india? what?
Post a Comment